Moria at night

Moria at night

Tuesday 12 January 2016

The oddities of a refugee transit camp

Nearly a thousand people sleeping leaves a whole lot of UNHCR blankets to pick up and send for washing. My job for today!

Walking up and down what is known as Afgan hill, I met a wide variety of refugees and migrants. I say migrant since the Nigerians I talked to, delightful young men, were simply seeking a better life and were frustrated by the visa process. It is hard. For Nigeria, it is hard to lose talented people. For European countries it will lead to overcrowding. The conundrum of the 21st century.

Looking at faces, there are the facial attributes of North Africa, the Middle East, but also what looks very much like Chinese. Someone suggested that any one might be a member of ISIS.

Of one thing I am certain, a border policy based on making entry as dangerous as possible is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment