Moria at night

Moria at night

Sunday 17 January 2016

Donations needed urgently

We worked with Ellie who has written this urgent plea. She is a brilliant leader and deserves support.

Dear friends and family.
I wouldn't normally do this unless it's to big companies but today the need is too urgent and need to be sorted too quickly.
The storms and snow have kicked in here in Greece and where normally we have been able to at least give the refugees shelter where we can in the camp , the stopping of ferries out of Greece-
( after registering here the refugees go on boats for a 12 -20 hour journey onwards to Athens or Macedonia for further processing)
- has left the refugees desparately waiting outside all night and day at the port for fear of missing the ferry that took them days and a lot of money to get a ticket for.
Hypothermia is already a big problem here even when they get to the camps, we now run the risk of double the cases and people getting extremely ill.
If we can keep them dry at least they might get through the next few days we could save them from this
Our raincoats and ponchos are now extremely low in supply and we are going ourselves to get what we can for them as we wait for more donations.
I'm basically asking for donations even a couple of quid so I can order in a big enough bulk load of rain coats and ponchos to get the refugees few the next few days.
The personal financial cost that as accumulated for the long term volunteers here is huge as they constantly dip into their own pocket to get supplies in and I want to help where I can.
I will get the items in regardless but if I could get any help towards it it would mean I can stay out here and keep helping .
I hate asking for money even for this good cause as you have all been so generous already with clothing donating but if anyone would like to give a couple of quid it will directly help on the ground here.
I have a PayPal account under email elspethje@yahoo.co.uk and I will of course share all details of what I get to prove I'm not just having a quick online top shop splurge!
Thanks guys and please only give if you want to xx

I know that in an ideal world there would be a registered charity to which money could be given. But this is not an ideal world and the need is urgent. We are giving to Ellie and I am starting the process of setting up a UK registered charity to support the work with refugees on Lesvos, but this will take time.

There is a German registered organisation, Better Days for Moria, which has taken the greater part of the burden of setting up the facilities. I am in discussion with them about finding a UK route. Take a look at their Facebook page.
Very many thanks
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment